Saturday, June 15, 2013

Bring the News Into Your Classroom

I just learned of this site DOGO News, from Richard Byrne's blog, Free Technology for Teachers. You can check out what Byrne had to write about the site at his post, DOGO News Create and Share Lessons about the News.

One thing that intrigued me about the site is that once a news story is accessed, a teacher can grab an embed code and post the story right within a blog post. I am trying it out now with one of the stories. Perhaps this specific story won't interest you, so I will try a second embed code and post another story. What captured my attention is that a teacher can easily embed one of the stories from the site and then post on a blog or website questions to ask students related to the story. The site also has a variety of other features for sharing as well as a link to CCSS and vocabulary terms. Be sure to check the options, and let us know what you think about how DOGO News can be used in the classroom.






5 comments:

Andrea Rosenfield said...

Richard Byrne has some pretty incredible finds! I think the typical way we deliver current events in the classroom can be tricky...students do not always find newspaper articles that are of interest to them, or readability is compromised because of unknown vocabulary. I mean, really, how many students are going to look up unfamiliar words in the dictionary??

DOGO news is the perfect alternative, given that there are a wide selection of topics and articles aligned to CCSS with vocabulary supports build in. I often distribute Time for Kids articles to my students, but I can't customize the response questions, or attach my own notes.

Judy, I see great potential using this platform, locating high-interest articles, and easily embedding them into classroom blog posts to inspire conversation. This resource has already been clipped and "filed" into Evernote.

Allan Ray Tanchiatco said...

This is something I've always been thinking, not DOGO itself but incorporating news in general. I just don't know how to implement it. It's just that I think that students should also be aware of what's happening outside of the school. As a content area teacher though, should I sacrifice content time for such?

Unknown said...

I love the superman comic book one...I can definitely see making some math problems out of that! I think anytime you can connect your content to the real-world, then students will be more interested!

Samantha said...

I agree with Leigh. Anytime students are engaged in real world applications of their learning they become that much more invested. I think that embedding news articles into a class blog is something that you can do with older elementary students but I fear that my students are still too young for this.

Paul Fitzpatrick said...

The DOGO tool would be very appropriate for my Civics and AP Government classes. It also affords me the opportunity to screen the content before presenting it to students as well as provide more focus for their inquiry. Thanks for sharing on this.

Contributors