Take a look at Top 100 Tools for Learning, which rates educational learning tools based on votes provided by educators. Compare this year's results with that of the last two years'. Use the 2008 and 2007 links to access those lists. Note also the box, "25 TOOLS: A TOOLBOX FOR LEARNING PROFESSIONALS, " with these two links: 25 tools, 25Tools Ning Community.
Slideshare, a site for storing PowerPoint presentations and other slide displays, gets a top billing, and Nings are receiving increasing attention as professional development tools. Twitter moved to first place from 11th in 2008. PowerPoint went from 8th place in 2008 to 12th in 2009, a sign that emerging Web 2.0 tools are overtaking Microsoft Office products. Slideshare is in 7th place this year, above PowerPoint by 4 spots. YouTube in 4th place this year was in 18th in 2008, a significant climb. Delicious, a social bookmarking site, slipped to second place this year from 1st last year as Twitter moved to the top. Let us know which of the multitude of sites you incorporate in your teaching or plan to consider for the future.
We will devote one night in class to Blogger/Blogspot, in 14th place; it's one of the easiest blogging tools to learn. The top 100 for 2008 is also available to view on SlideShare, and the 2009 list should be in SlideShare soon once the voting closes. In fact, you have until Nov. 15, 2009 to cast your vote for this year's winners.
Remember to bookmark Top 100 Tools for Learning for reference. There's lots to explore. I will soon update my list of "Education Websites" on this blog's second sidebar, and for class, you need to create your own annotated lists of valuable sites for teachers and students. The Top 100 Tools and the second sidebar on this blog might help you find some sites you want to include.
Image from the Centre for Learning and Performance Technologies
- ► 2012 (19)
- ► 2011 (73)
- ► 2010 (44)
- Bookmarks and Annotations on Delicious.com
- New Site Launches Library of Educational Videos
- Facebook and Twitter for Professional Development
- Did You Know
- Why Let Students Blog in the Classroom
- What's A Wiki?
- 7th Grader's Sample Photo Story 3
- Photo Story 3 In Less than 10 Minutes
- Teachers Selling Their Wares on the Internet
- Easy Moviemaking with Photo Story 3
- Kid's Video on What's a Wiki
- What Will Teaching Look Like in 2030?
- Cultural Diversity in the Classroom
- Top 100 Tools for Learning
- It's Your Education: What Do You Think?
- ▼ November (15)
- ► 2008 (92)